Friday, January 3, 2014

Tracking is a blessing and a curse

I'm certainly old enough to remember the bad old days, when you would order something, like x-ray specs from the back of a comic, and send off the requisite $3.99 and wait 6-8 weeks for delivery.  At first, you would check every day for the package in the mail, and it would fail to arrive.  (I mean, you sent off for it on Monday, and it's Thursday already - where is it?  Wile E Coyote can get Acme stuff in all of 2 seconds, surely the USPS can do that, right?  Anyway . . .)

Eventually, you would stop checking all the time, and one day, you would come home from school, and there would be a little cardboard box on the table, with a "present" - some random piece of crap that you had ordered and forgotten about.  Yay!

Now, we have tracking.  I know where my Rivet Wars game is currently located (Ohio).  I know when it got there (Dec 31st).  Thanks to mapquest, I know that it is only a couple of hours from my house.  I don't know why it is not here yet.  And that's oddly frustrating sometimes. 

I tracked my WWX stuff via UPS.  I watched it go to within 40 miles of where I was staying, and sit there in a UPS facility for almost a week before it moved on.  That frustration galled me a bit - I knew where it was, and it just sat there, unmoving, basically waiting to be moved overnight, so that it did not get delivered early.

Anyway  - I am putting off working on things I have in hand, obsessing about stuff en route.  It will get here when it gets here, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment